TICKET MACHINE WEBSITE

A WARM WELCOME TO EVERYONE.

EXCHANGES AND M/c LIST

Forum Home > SETRIGHT S.M.D > Setright SMD No. 10,001

mooncoinm12

Preserved at the North West Museum of Road Transport, St. Helens. This was the Setright reaction to the Almex 'A' and appeared Circa 1978. Details are uncertain but, it is believed that 10 machines were produced. Using a similar mechanism to the Setright 'Ordit', but miniaturised, some machines incorporated audit cassettes (2 different types known). Finished in a distinctive 'hammerite' green, the machines incorporated 'teflon' gearing which - owing to a low grade of product being used - led to failure of the components in service. Eventually, an 'engineering grade' of Teflon was used to overcome the problems - but by this time a decision to concentrate on other product directions contributed to the premature demise of development. A good looking machine, 10,001 ceased to function many years ago.

May 6, 2009 at 10:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Anthony Cross

Is this the same SMD developed for the LT magnetic tape trials?  If so I believe the date was nearer to 1968 and the number of machines produced was nearer 200.  A handful survive - three were sold at LOTs in the 1970s.  LT allegedly returned the machines to Setright in exchange to SMBs for the country area.  Most were quietly done away with by Setright but some ended up as souvenirs with employees - one turned up on E-Bay some years ago via the Setright Belfast factory. 

--
May 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mooncoinm12

Many thanks Anthony, Bell Punch staff were very coy about this one and I bow to your well informed response. But if I'd only looked at 'Condie's List', I'd have seen that your date is the more accurate...

What a debacle it must have been if the best part of 200 machines had to be returned !  No wonder B.P.  were so quiet about it !

May 20, 2009 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.