TICKET MACHINE WEBSITE

A WARM WELCOME TO EVERYONE.

EXCHANGES AND M/c LIST

Forum Home > BELL PUNCH ULTIMATE > British Railways Ultimate

Horace

Horace

Ex - British Railways 6 barrel Ultimate machine, Rear of machine bears imprint of a dymo label which reads "CHELTENHAM" so Western Region. Prints date across ticket; Usual "stage" knob changes the day while the month and year are altered from within the machine. Otherwise identical to bus machines. Serial number inside reads 60/C/0/S/4 125216

May 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JIM

HI THERE, IS THE ULTIMATE MACHINE FOR SALE OR EXCHANGE

RGDS,JIM

June 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Horace

Hi Jim, sorry the BR Ultimate is not for sale just at the moment, but find me a nice Southend Corporation Setright and an exchange may then be possible!

regards, "Horace"

June 28, 2009 at 9:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

JIM

HI HORACE,WHAT WOULD THE CODE LETTERING BE ON THE SOUTHEND SETRIGHT???

RGDS,JIM.

June 28, 2009 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Horace

Hi Jim,

The original Southend Setrights were a batch of 150 machines numbered S001 to S150. If my maths are correct the serial numbers would be 22475 to 22625. I think Southend also had some secondhand machines from elsewhere but I am not looking for those. Beware though, other operators also used "S" prefix machine numbers (including London Transport) so the serial number should act as an aid to identification. Also there are many machines around that carry non original front plates so further checks need to be made by looking at the machine number printed on the ticket and by the serial number that should be stamped into the chassis of the machine. I know this because I have already had my fingers burnt with a Western National machine carrying a Southend Corporation front plate!! Best of luck, "Horace"

June 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

JIM

HI HORACE , I WILL KEEP MY EYES OPEN, I AM A MEMBER OF THE GVVT IN GLASGOW AND WILLL HAVE A LOOK WHEN WE HAVE OUR OPEN IN OCTOBER. I WILL ALSO CHECK FOR ONE WHEN LATHALMOND HAS THEIR OPEN DAY IN AUGUST,

RGDS,JIM.

June 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

ticketmaster

Interesting machine there. According to the records 125216 was originally supplied  14/12/1971  to Cartertons, Oxford.

September 8, 2009 at 5:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Horace

Thats very interesting, because as you can see from the other picture it came to me full of Cartertons tickets. It is possible then that this is a genuine one-owner machine. I'm not sure where the railway connection came from. The rear of the machine still shows traces of a Dymo label bearing the name "CHELTENHAM" hence the assumption about its use but if official records say that it was new to Cartertons (who I think are still in business) then that's good enough for me! Thanks for your input.

September 15, 2009 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jack

Horace at 05:28PM on Sep 15, 2009

Thats very interesting, because as you can see from the other picture it came to me full of Cartertons tickets. It is possible then that this is a genuine one-owner machine. I'm not sure where the railway connection came from. The rear of the machine still shows traces of a Dymo label bearing the name "CHELTENHAM" hence the assumption about its use but if official records say that it was new to Cartertons (who I think are still in business) then that's good enough for me! Thanks for your input.

Carterton Coaches were taken over by Swanbook Coaches.  Carterton had a service to Cheltenham.  I doubt that there is any railway connection.

John O

September 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Horace

This gets more interesting - I've looked through my old emails and found a note from another member which was supplied to a previous owner of this machine.

To summarise, The earlier information (from a gentleman called Bob) stated that machine 125216 was manufactured on 17th August 1971 and supplied to BR at Birkenhead Central on 13th February 1972 as part of a batch of 44 machines.

The recent posting from Ticketmaster says that it was new to Cartertons on 14th December 1971 (Midway between the two dates above). It was full of Cartertons tickets when I received it.

If Cartertons had a service to Cheltenham perhaps the "Cheltenham" label on the rear indicated that this machine was used on that service.

Both correspondents sound as though they know their subject and both seem to have access to some official records, so perhaps they could double check and solve the puzzle.

Could it be that BR cancelled or reduced their order and this one was then diverted elsewhere?

My thanks to all for their help.

September 17, 2009 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.